Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Can we say that in church!?


Luke 5:33-39 includes the parable about new and old wineskins. Now, I've read this illustration many times before. I have always thought 'Yes, it's difficult to put new ideas into old structures. I get it.' But this time in reading it, what caught me is the fact that Jesus used alcohol as an illustration.


Jesus had the habit of tying in modern day activities (farming, fishing, buidling) and objects (seeds, lamps, money) when teaching. Wine was the common drink of the day and so fair game for Jesus to use in an illustration.


Today, Christians may have the habit of drinking, smoking, or gambling. I'm not encouraging the practice of any of them, but are they fair game for use as illustrations in our churches today?

No comments:

Lessons from Eve

The first mother, Eve, had 2 sons,  Cain and Abel. Cain worked the soil; Abel kept flocks. When taking their offerings to God, Cain was jeal...