Thursday, September 18, 2008

The Lost Coin


When I read the parable about the woman who lost a coin in Luke 15, I immediately think of the window's mite. I don't know why. Maybe it's just because these are two incidents in the New Testament where a woman and a coin are involved. The parable doesn't say this woman was a widow, but since there was no one to help her search the house for the coin, I guess I just assumed she was.


While the one story reminds me of the other, there is one significant difference between the two. The value of the coin.


In the story of the widow's mite the coin was worth about 2 cents. Most people no longer even take the time to pick a penny up these days. In fact, there is talk of discontinueing production of the penny because it costs more to make than it is worth!


In the parable of the lost coin, the woman lost a drachma, which the Bible says is a day's wage. Wikianswers.com says that today the average American makes $105.57 a day. So it's as if this woman lost a hundred dollar bill! I don't know about you, but I would hunt for it until I found it too!


The point here is that what was lost had great value. Yes, the woman, like our heavenly Father, never gives up. But we each have great value in God's sight. He loves us, believes in us, and values us more than we'll ever know. How cool is that?!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Tim,

My name is Matthew Crowder and I am a Community Coordinator at WikiAnswers. Thanks for stopping by our site. We're pretty proud of the Q&A knowledgebase we've built over the years and we are still growing by leaps and bounds every day. We'd be privileged if you ever have a chance to share your insights on the questions posed by our members.

Keep up the great work on Writer's Block.

Matthew

It may be Friday, but Sunday is coming!

Easter Sunday will be here in a few short days. Christians all over the world will celebrate our Savior's victory over sin and death. Th...