Monday, March 16, 2009

Baptizing Children

"I invite you today to become a witness for Christ." That was my invitation at the end of my message yesterday morning.

We began singing a song of invitation giving people the opportunity to move forward and come to Jesus.

Now I don't know how you view the Bible in terms of salvation, but I believe it's modeled when people came to Jesus they were baptized into him for the forgiveness of their sins. So that is what we teach and practice here at KCC.

My 6-year old son was sitting in the second pew row and began waving me over to ask me something. At first I just waved back at him and politely smiled, hoping he would take the hint that daddy was busy right at the moment.

But he continued to beckon me. Unable to put off his pleading any longer, I stepped over to him and leaned down, just to hear him whisper, "Daddy, can I get baptized?"

Understand, there is nothing I want more in this world is to see my children come to faith in Jesus Christ. I pray fervently that they commit their lives to Him. But 6 years old seems quite young for a person to be baptized. We like to make sure they know what they are doing before they make this life-altering decision.

My wife and I have been putting our son off now for almost a year on his quest to be baptized, but the time my be drawing near for the step to be taken.

I often question myself, what gives me the right to make the decision for him? I'm secretly envious of other believers who recite "the sinner's prayer" with children, although I can't seem to find it in the Bible. But that makes it so simple. The child can be "saved" and our conscience is clear.

My prayer today is for my son, my wife, and myself. May we understand God's timing for my son's salvation!

No comments:

Lessons from Eve

The first mother, Eve, had 2 sons,  Cain and Abel. Cain worked the soil; Abel kept flocks. When taking their offerings to God, Cain was jeal...